Sunday, February 15, 2009

Prep....

Okay, it's Sunday night and I leave for SF in 33 hours or something. I just had to share this. Am I packed? Not in the least. Do I have everything I need to go? Probably not. Is Ella's bag packed for Mimi's house? Not a chance. Do I have to work a full day tomorrow? yep.
HOWEVER- the GROCERY trip has been made. Michael just went and bought all the stuff he and Ella will be "needing" while I'm out of town. Any time I'm not at this house for a day or so, he uses valuable alone time to eat all of the horrible, I mean neat, stuff he misses out on when I'm the one cooking. Usually he high-tails it to Subway for a Meatball Sub (don't even get me started. I'm getting sick just thinking of the smell). Anyway, he just returned from the store, and I just wanted to share a few of the grocery sack items that I helped him unpack: (mind you, I'm only going to be gone for 1 (one) week:
1) Polish sausage (seriously, vomit.) He says they will be making hot dogs with these.
2) Manwich Sloppy Joe mix (used to love this, but for some reason, the last time I made these I decided my life was not enriched or fulfilled in any way by consuming it)
3) Stuff for tacos (with taco seasoning- at least he won't have to separate my meat without the seasoning this week. whew.)
4) Little Smokies (yes, I like these, but for some reason this is a staple when Jamie's gone- I like to tell myself that pigs-in-a-blanket are the much-needed comfort food when he's too upset to talk about me being gone. sniff. yeah, right)
5) Items to make spinach dip (seriously, what husband makes spinach dip on his own, for himself? mine.) To clear up any "man-points" issues, I would like to add that he did purchase the already-chopped frozen unions, so at least there won't be any "dicing" involved.
6) Chocolate covered mini doughnuts, pop-tarts, and popcorn. (in case they get hungry)
7) Ella has two bunches of bananas, 3 packs of fruit cups, apple sauce, two gallons of apple juice, another box of oatmeal, and a lunchables that "he thought he'd see if she liked" to consume during this week. I hope Michael's in for some late nights. =)

I also noticed items for philly steak, which brings the current bread total to four: hamburger buns, hot dog buns, HOAGIE rolls, and regular bread.

You'd think I never feed the boy.
SO- if you're hungry this week, stop by the Ekenseair's. There's lots of meat, I mean food, to be eaten. I would not be at all surprised if there's a bisque or souffle involved! I do hope he remembers that our daughter just got over the stomach virus. polish sausage. enough said.

A side note- I remember a couple of years ago leaving for a trip with a girlfriend- had not made it out of the neighborhood and remembered I had forgotten something at the house. I came back in the house and noticed the oven was on. Michael had mixed up a cake and it was baking in the time it took me to get to the edge of the subdivision. I'm talking greased the pan, mixed, poured, preheated, the whole thing. I swear he must have had it in the works for days- all the little mini-pinch bowls and spatulas and pyrexes laid in the most convenient spot to grab and go to work as soon as the door shut behind me. Flour on the forehead.... I digress....I've laughed about that one for years. I'm not the only foodie in this house, for certain! =)
P.S. He will KILL me for sharing the cake thing. And all my friends thought he bought the Kitchen Aid mixer for me. hmmm.......

0 comments: